Go Back   BMW-Driver.net Forums > Technical Discussion > BMW DIY Guides
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise Auto Loans

BMW DIY Guides How to guides and instructions for DIY on your BMW

Old 18-Mar-2010, 04:24 PM
BMW Driver

Default E46 EML Light, useful tip!

Recently there was a post here regarding the EML light and loss of power on a 318 E46. My wife's car developed the same problem and on a diagnostic computer it said Valvetronic unit. I phoned BMW and got a huge quote to supply and fit a new unit. I got other varying suggestions one being try the coil packs! However, I was on the phone to Mark (BMW breaker Straffan) regarding a different matter and I explained my problem. Straight away he said your problem is an air pipe at the top of engine underneath the plastic engine cover. He said these pipes are flimsy and often collapse. He was bang on. A similarly sized sturdier pipe from another engine fitted and the car is running fine ever since.
I have put this post here so that people don't (A) get ripped off or (B)dont spend a lot of time and effort chasing a problem!
When your car is being serviced next it would be worth your while checking the condition of the pipe or consider changing it for a sturdier one before the car lets you down.

Last edited by 5Series; 18-Mar-2010 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: omitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 5Series For This Useful Post:
Damien (18-Mar-2010), dillon (10-Aug-2012), Fiona (18-Mar-2010), joey (12-Jan-2014), nigzcurran (18-Mar-2010), orangemoon (29-Nov-2013), Rob (19-Mar-2010), superted (03-Jan-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18-Mar-2010, 07:11 PM
BMW Driver

I had the same problem on a 318ci. That pipe ain't up to the job.
Carbon black E46 M3. (Sold)
Old 18-Mar-2010, 08:11 PM
wannabe beemer driver
BMW Driver

i have a 2000 E46 318 that is losing power and i have been told it could be a number of different things. it would be great if that was all that was wrong with mine. could you explain exactly where i should be looking please?
Old 19-Mar-2010, 09:29 AM
Site Sponsor
BMW Driver

I have two in at the moment and neither of them got fixed with this. One had a faulty fuel relay one had a shagged valvetronic motor..... So sometimes they are to blame.
The hose however is a known culprit and BMW released a service advisorey on it.

e34 540t 6sp Gone
e39 523i sold
e36 M3 Evo sold
Old 19-Mar-2010, 02:26 PM
E39 530i
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerchris View Post
I have two in at the moment and neither of them got fixed with this. One had a faulty fuel relay one had a shagged valvetronic motor..... So sometimes they are to blame.
Agreed, the EML light itself is in no way specific at all. In this thread here, a faulty MAF was the cause of the EML light. But, a simple check of the condition of the hose is definitely worth a check before looking at the more expensive causes!

Also, just in case, you are referring to this light , aren't you? The reason I ask, is because some people assume that this light , is the Engine Management Light, when it's actually the "Check Engine" light.

Old 19-Mar-2010, 05:55 PM
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerchris View Post
The hose however is a known culprit and BMW released a service advisorey on it.
After I changed the pipe I was told it would take about 15 to 30 mins for the shit to blow itself out and for the car to gradually start to rev properly. The guy Mark said that when replacing this pipe people expect the car to start running correctly straight away and don't give it enough time and then start changing other more expensive items that don't need changing at all. My diagnostic showed up as a valvetronic unit fault and the local BMW dealer also said that was the problem. I have to admit even after I was told I expected the car to run well straight away after changing the pipe. After twenty minutes driving and spluttering I thought it has to be the valvetronic unit and ten mins later the revs went up and she started to run smoothly. If I had given up sooner I would have brought it to BMW to replace the valvetronic unit and been convinced that was the problem. Once again thanks to Mark for a top tip and for saving me a small fortune!!

Last edited by 5Series; 19-Mar-2010 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: ..
Old 19-Mar-2010, 06:14 PM
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigzcurran View Post
i have a 2000 E46 318 that is losing power and i have been told it could be a number of different things. it would be great if that was all that was wrong with mine. could you explain exactly where i should be looking please?
If you take the plastic cover off the top of the engine you will see a kind of foam type pipe sitting at the top of the engine. My one almost looked like two pipes as it was collapsed in the centre. If your pipe is collapsed you can replace with any similar sized sturdier pipe or a rplacement OEM one for about 40 euros. If this is your problem your car won't run right straight away. You will need to drive it and rev it hard for 15 mins or so until she comes back to normal!
Old 19-Mar-2010, 10:35 PM
Site Sponsor
BMW Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesmad View Post
After I changed the pipe I was told it would take about 15 to 30 mins for the shit to blow itself out and for the car to gradually start to rev properly. The guy Mark said that when replacing this pipe people expect the car to start running correctly straight away and don't give it enough time and then start changing other more expensive items that don't need changing at all. My diagnostic showed up as a valvetronic unit fault and the local BMW dealer also said that was the problem. I have to admit even after I was told I expected the car to run well straight away after changing the pipe. After twenty minutes driving and spluttering I thought it has to be the valvetronic unit and ten mins later the revs went up and she started to run smoothly. If I had given up sooner I would have brought it to BMW to replace the valvetronic unit and been convinced that was the problem. Once again thanks to Mark for a top tip and for saving me a small fortune!!

Trust me we tried all that before. The pipe issue is well documented however the valvetronic engine has quiet some issues beside the pipe and valvetrnc untis are one of them.

e34 540t 6sp Gone
e39 523i sold
e36 M3 Evo sold
Old 20-Mar-2010, 12:47 AM
wannabe beemer driver
BMW Driver

ok cheers for that. i will have a peep under the cover tommorow and see how it looks. appreciate it
Old 03-Jan-2011, 12:53 PM
BMW Driver

Default EML issues

My 2004 316i was idling rough for a while and then one day the EML and check engine light came on. The car then wouldn't start. It kicks over and almost catches but then dies. I know its not the starter and not the battery and from past experience it seems that the engine isn't getting enough air. Sure enough I pulled the plastic cover off and found that the air pipe looked like it was two pipes because of the crease down the middle.

So before I have it towed to a mechanic I thought I would try replacing the pipe. Does anyone have the part number or the actual name of the air pipe so that I can order a replacement part online?

Cheers

Quick Reply
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW-Driver.net Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.